February has arrived; it’s almost inevitable that many of our new year’s resolutions have fallen by the wayside.
It’s cold, it’s dreary, it’s dark; January seems to have been the longest month ever; spring 2017 still feels like an unbearably, intolerably long, long way off.
The motivation to get outdoors, to improve fitness levels (or to even make it to the front door and out of your home!) is at an all-year low.
What to do...?
By Karen Cafferkey
[Picture: Women's knitwear at Blarney.com]Secondly, when it’s cold outside it goes without saying that extra layers of warmth are required if you’re even going to even contemplate some outdoor activity. And, if you do need to ‘layer-up’, what better way to do it than with a super-chic edge! When your soft-to-the-touch merino gloves are elegantly protecting your fingers from the cold chill, when your cute Blarney Aran Originals beanie, or your traditional Mucros Weavers ‘newsboy’ hat is giving your outfit that added sense of character and style flair, we guarantee that you’ll feel a whole lot more positive in your attitude towards braving the cold!
- - - - - - - - -In short, clothing and accessories that are brimming with style are sure to boost your flagging morale when it comes to getting outdoors and maintaining fitness. So, to help get you in the mood for fresh air and to help make the cool, crisp outdoors become a more attractive destination, we’ve selected our ‘top picks’ in terms of cosy outdoor layers. We promise that the stark yet striking beauty of wintertime nature coupled with the dramatic luminosity of gorgeous winter daylight, will make that little bit of effort completely worth your while.
[Picture: The Irish Landscape / The Fisherman Out of Ireland Collection at Blarney.com]Remember, it won’t be long before spring shows up and envelopes us in green shoots and daffodils - an ambience of hope, colour, brightness and general positivity! Until then, here are our Blarney Woollen Mills ‘top picks’ to help provide you with the impetus to get out in to the wild, cold (but beautiful) great outdoors…!
[Picture: The Mucros Weavers Collection at Blarney.com]
- - - - - - - - -Blarney Country Heritage traditional wool mix socks.
- - - - - - - - -These wool-rich socks may be named after a pattern associated with a tiny Scottish island, but we guarantee that our Fair Isle socks will cut an immense fashion dash. On trend and available in four cheerful colourwork patterns, our Blarney Country Heritage socks are the best starting point for any outdoor adventure. >> Choose from beige, orange, green and navy:
- - - - - - - - -What’s more, placed close to your face, the delightful colour options will flatter your complexion and compliment your rosy cheeks and healthy glow – that natural glow that you’re sure to achieve once you get motivated to get out and get active in the beautiful great outdoors!
- - - - - - - - -For those of you who are not familiar with the nuances of the various wool types used in our collections, Merino wool is renowned for its splendid super-soft finish. Gentle and soft-to-the-touch, it’s no surprise that Merino has become a popular choice when it comes to our woollen accessories. Merino wool offers that sense of luxury that adds a little dash of pleasure and delight to cold-weather dressing!
- - - - - - - - -Contributing added character and style, the cable stitch featured in this cute beanie offers a distinctly Irish flair. Remember that the cable pattern is the cornerstone of the traditional Irish knit. According to folklore, the cable stitch recalls the fisherman’s rope. What better way to embrace your attachment to your Irish heritage and to recall the beauty of the Irish landscape, than to incorporate a cable pattern in to your winter accessories wardrobe? Keep snug, stay stylish in a generous variety of versatile colour choices: green, natural, burgundy marl, purple marl, raspberry marl and charcoal marl.
- - - - - - - - -Buttoned sides add shape; the iconic front and back cable stitch pattern is given a sublimely chic update, yet still remains true to the rich heritage of Aran knitting traditions. >> 100% Merino Wool >> One size fits all >> Part of the exclusive Blarney Aran Originals range >> Colours: green & beige
------------Remember, a few gentle weekend winter strolls on the beach; a ramble in the hills – revitalised and reinvigorated you’re sure to feel better placed to not only survive the week ahead, but to endure (and hopefully to enjoy!) the final few weeks of winter.
>>Shop online at Blarney.com
>> Learn more about the history of Blarney Woollen Mills here.